Monday 30 April 2018

because it's my dream


4:40am
It’s dark. My phone lights up across my room and Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel begins to play. I am so tired. My body aches; my eyelids feel like they weigh 1000lbs, what the hell am I doing? Before I can get one more negative thought through my mind, I leap out of bed and throw on my training shorts and T-shirt I placed out the night before. I inhale a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and head to the garage.

5:00am
* Snap snap * – I lock my boots into my rollerskis and put on my poles and roll down the driveway. Like most mornings, it’s an hour and a half session. The first 30 minutes I just try to find my rhythm; how does my body feel? I focus on being dynamic while trying to find my glide. I drop my poles on the side of the path and spend the next 20 minutes legs only. Punch, glide, punch, glide, punch, and glide. I need to get over my skis better; I need to glide more with less movement. I grab my poles; it’s time for some speed work. I use a pinecone on the path as a start line; I imagine I am lining up at the start line of World Championships. It’s me against the best in the world. “Skiers take your start positions, set … BAM” the mental gun it my head goes off. I launch out of my start gate as fast as I can. I am completely relaxed. For the next 15 seconds I am flying, I am getting over my skis like I did during my legs only work. There is no one in the world that can beat me in this moment. I cross my finish line (the garbage can on the side of the path), a good sprint. I do 7 more of these, improving each one. It’s time to cool down, I spend the next 20 minutes at a controlled pace working on my technique on my way back home. I take a deep breath; the first step of the day is done.

6:45am
I chow down another two bowls of cereal, take a shower, pack a lunch, and throw my training gear into the car. Time to go to work.

7:45am
I arrive at work. I start marking off the orders coming in and get ready to unpack product and stock shelves for the next 9 hours. I have 15 full skids to unpack and stock. As I stock the shelves and work the cash I only have one thing on my mind, skiing. Each hour that passes by I think to myself, “$11 dollars closer to being able to go to Norway”. This is my mission, I don’t want to be here… but I know where I want to go.

5:00pm
I grab my bags, rush out the door, and jump in the car; it’s straight to team training. I pass by my house on my way; all I want to do is turn left and go home to sleep… But I keep driving.


5:30pm
* Snap snap * - I put on my rollerskis, strap on my poles and begin to warm-up with the team. 5x5mins hard uphill double pole intervals. My eyes are drowsy on the first two intervals, and my legs are exhausted from standing all day. My body is on the edge. I grit my way through the third interval, my teammates Joey and Kieran are stronger than me at the start, but as the hill gets steeper I crank the tempo and go for the pass; victory, now just two more. I try the same move on the fourth interval and fail; on the fifth I am off the back. Lactate acid fills my arms, core and legs; I cannot possibly get enough air, I watch my teammates take off up the hill as I focus purely on the pain I am experiencing. I am done for the day.


7:30pm
I drive home.

7:45pm
I unpack my equipment from the car, head inside, eat a delicious dinner my awesome mom has made, and get ready for bed.

9:00pm
I lie out a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and then fall into bed. In the few moments I lay there before I fall asleep I think to myself, “Just two more months of this. Just two more months and you’ll have enough money to go to Norway. You can do this. For the dream.”

Next day 4:40am
It’s dark. My phone lights up from across the room…




This was the typical routine last summer. One might ask, why? I know I do. Why put your body through this stress? Why put your mind through the stress? You’re not enjoying this, why are you doing it? Why do you revolve everything you do around this one thing?

When I ask myself these questions the answer is always, “because this is my dream.”

I could leave this post at that, but I have thought about this a lot over the past year. About what my goal is, why I want to do this so badly, and I think I finally have the explanation(s) I have been looking for. I have found three major components that I have been drawing my motivation from.

The first component of my athletic dream is curiosity. I am so curious to see how good I can get at this sport. What was once a bunny rabbits class my parents registered me for is now something that has provided my with the opportunity to travel the world, meet countless amazing friends, represent my country, and so much more. It is crazy; I want to see how much further I can take this. I am beyond privileged to have this opportunity and at the very least I have to try to see what I can do with it. To become the best skier I can be. I don’t want to look back on my ski career and ask myself, “what if”.

Where it all began
World Juniors 2017 

 
The second component is the materialistic stuff. The core of my motivation is curiosity, but I definitely have big goals of what I can do in terms of results. I want to stand on the start line for Canada at World Championships and at the Olympics. And more importantly, I want to cross the finish line for Canada with a race that myself, my friends, and my family can be proud of.  Each year that passes (especially this past one) these goals become more and more realistic. Watching the Olympics this year was inspiring as usual, and as it came to an end I thought for a second, “That was really cool, can’t wait to see the next one in four years.” Then it hit me, the next one, 2022, that’s us. It’s a bold claim, of course there will be a long list of strong Canadian athletes chasing those spots, but I am confident in my improvements and my plan to continue improving to set this goal for myself.

U23 Aggregate Podium Nationals 2018 ... progress. 


The third piece that has been on my mind recently has been apart from skiing. About a year and a half ago I decided that after my ski career I wanted to become a teacher. As a kid I often struggled in school, partly due to me genuinely not understanding stuff, partly due to my lack of interest and effort. I hated school; I hated how the teachers looked and spoke to me like I was stupid. The only thing that made it bearable was getting to see my friends everyday. If you asked me if I wanted to be a teacher a few years ago I would have said ‘no’ before you could finish the question. But over the past few years something changed, a realization, if you will. I have begun to realize the positive impact the good teachers have had on my life, and how important teachers are. If done right, I think teaching is the most impactful career in the world. In no other job does anyone get to interact, work, and speak with the next generation like a teacher does. So that’s what I want to do. I want to helps students find their passions, find what they want to do with their lives, or at the very least help them get a sense of direction. I also have a lot of ideas that I would like to work on and bring to the education system. This is a big goal for me post-ski career. 
But how is this a motivator for my skiing? Well, I think to myself a lot about whether I want to continue skiing, or pursue my to pursue my other life goals. Of course skiing is my focus now, but I do have a lot of other stuff I want to do. What keeps me focused on skiing is the life experience I will get out of pursuing my athletic dream. I think that if I just crushed out school for the next three to five years and became a teacher, I wouldn’t bring the value that I would like to have. I wouldn’t have the life experience that I think is so important in teaching. And who would I be to stand if front of a class and tell them to chase their dreams, if I didn’t see mine through myself? I have to at least try, try to see how far I can take my passion. If I am completely honest, a lot of the time this motivates me for my skiing more than my ski specific goals. What I do with the rest of my life beyond sport is really important to me, something beyond just myself. I don’t want to get too emotional on the blog, but I really want to world to be a better place because I was here, and I desperately don’t want it to be worse. I don’t know how big of a difference I can make; but I am thinking about it, and that’s a start.

That is the Readers Digest version of why I am still pursuing this. For me it is really important to ask myself the big “why”. Because of course I ski because I love it, but there comes a point where it is about more than just enjoying the sport. Everything I am doing in my life for the next number of years will revolve around skiing, and that means putting a lot of other life stuff on hold. I didn’t pack up my life in Canada and move to Norway just because I like to ski, I did it for of all of the reasons listed above. It’s for the dream.

So where does that leave us, what’s the next step? I just arrived home after my first full season in Norway. I am home to get surgery on my hips after struggling for the past few years with chronic pain. I’m not going to lie I am pretty nervous. A total recovery time of 4 months with 1 month in a wheelchair, it’s a little intimidating.
But my plan is to be travelling back to Norway as soon as I am better. After spending a year there I now truly realize how much room I have to improve. There is just a level there that you can’t experience anywhere else. I still have so much to learn and explore. And if I am taking my goals seriously, for myself, I have to be there. So the plan is to base out of Norway for the foreseeable future. I am really excited for it. 

From my first day in Norway with Team Asker, excited to continue working with this group



But following next week it will just be focusing on recovery. Maybe I will have some more frequent blogs while I'm posted up in a wheelchair, probably won't have much else to do. We will see. 

Thanks for reading! 

Until next time,

Rj 


No comments:

Post a Comment

because it's my dream

4:40am It’s dark. My phone lights up across my room and Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel begins to play. I am so tired. My body ...